Sunday 23 August 2009

Skinned

I remember black skies, the lightening all around me
I remember each flash as time began to burn...

I started reading 'Skinned' by Robin Wasserman the other day. I'm having issues reading it.... When I try to read this book, I start to feel nauseous... Er, first, here's the book trailer:



Yes, I know, it looks amazing. When the book came in for me at the library, I could hardly contain my excitement! I even started reading it while I was IMing a friend. ;)
But like I said, I am having problems reading it. One part is just the fact that it is so depressing. (I'm not even 50 pages in, by the way, so there won't be any spoilers.) Lia is still Lia, but she's in this mechanical body, against her will.... She cannot feel pain, not even emotional pain. As it says on pages 38-39:

"But here I was, inches from a dead body. My dead body... And I didn't feel sick. I didn't feel anything... I don't just mean on the outside... It was that, but it wasn't just that. I couldn't feel anything on the inside, either. I wasn't nauseated; I wasn't dizzy. My stomach wasn't clenched... I wasn't breathing quickly. I wasn't breathing at all... My brain --or whatever was up there-- told me I was horrified. And furious. And terrified. And disgusted. I knew I was all of those things. But I couldn't feel it. They were just words."

And besides it being depressing, I'm also having problems because it is set in a futuristic world...
No, not futuristic, it's hard because it is probably only about fifty years in the future. I could be living in a world like that. I don't know if many people know this about me, but I hate technology. Not that it doesn't suck me into it, just like everybody else, but that is another reason I hate it. People are growing dependant on iPods, cell phones, the internet... It's ridiculous. It makes me want to go back in time, about 150 years or so ago.... Reading A Certain Slant of Light has really made me long for that.... And to end this post, I will promise a review of A Certain Slant of Light soon!
(But anyways, I'm going to try to read Skinned again.)

Courtney

No comments: