Saturday 26 June 2010

Animus?!

Yesterday I went to an anime convention.
Wow, yeah, I know! I actually went to an anime convention. XD
I just had a great time hanging out with two of my best friends, a kind-of friend (Donald's best friend, k? xD), and my boyfriend (Ian). Great time for bonding... Especially when we got lost. (laugh) That was both nerve-wracking and exciting.
At first we thought we might not be able to go. Chelsie and I were in costume (the only two in our group cosplaying. She was Sakura Haruno, and I was Hinata Hyuga, both Naruto characters) taking pictures of each other while we waited for our ride.


In the end, she never did choose a Sakura-pose for in case people asked for her picture.

Aaaand I just look plain evil here. My apologies! Pretty sure I lifted my head up more when people asked for my picture at the con... Which they did, and it made me so happy! (More about that later.)

We both made a kunai (each) out of paper, a large stick, and electrical tape. XD

Hinata needs to keep her mouth closed for pictures. >.>;

"I'm going to see if I can hit my kunai on the backboard!" (She did, by the way.)

This was right after we got the phone call from Donald, I believe. He told us that Jason (our driver) wasn't back yet, and wasn't answering his phone. He said that we probably wouldn't end up going to the convention.
I made a frantic call to Ian, in hopes that he would have any ideas for alternative rides. He didn't. Plushie talked to his mom, but she didn't either.
Fortunately, I got an insant message from Donald about 10 minutes later, saying that Jason was going to be over very soon to pick us up. (I could have danced in the streets! I'd been waiting for this convention for over six months!


Jason picked us up, and with our GPS and pile of MapQuest maps, we set off!

....And got VERY lost.

"WHY ARE THERE NO MICHIGAN MAPS?!"
(This caption was edited. What was actually said is not appropriate anyone under 15. XD)

The GPS proved to be HORRIBLE. It shut off right when we needed it, turned back on when we finally figured out where to go without its help, talking in this noncomprehensible duck voice (from Tom and Jerry, apparently). ...The voice was actually pretty funny... At first.
When we first started going:
GPS: (duck voice) "Turn right!"
Donald: "W-why is the GPS talking like Donald Duck?!"
Jason: "I... Don't know... Why did it tell us to turn right?"
Ian: "You have to turn LEFT!"
GPS: (says something that no one could possibly understand)
Donald: "What?!"
Me: "I don't like this... D:"

That thing was just screwed up.

We stopped in an empty lot to get our bearings. On the outskirts of the city.

We got lost because of the construction on the interstate. We got off the freeway and promptly became lost. XD

We were going farther and farther into the 'bad' part of town, and we were beginning to get a little nervous. Just a little. Then we stopped at a gas station to ask for directions and see if they sold maps. Only Ian and Jason went in, and they came back looking really freaked out. Not so much Jason, he was just nervous (the person at the cash register was behing bullet-proof glass), but Ian was getting really bad feelings, so we got the heck out of there.

Eventually, after a, what? Two hour car ride? We got to where we were going. (The car ride was only supposed to be an hour.) We drove to the giant sign that said "GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY," and of course, everyone was making comments like, "Well, I don't see where we're supposed to be." "Yep, this is DEFINITELY not the place!" "Better turn the car around, Jason, and go home." (GVSU was, in fact, where the convention was being held. *laugh*)

We deifnitely knew that we were where we were supposed to be when we drove down the campus road a ways and saw a few cosplayers slowly turn into large groups of cosplayers as we drove. We parked, walked halfway to the building, my shoe gave out so I wrapped the medical tape we used for the Sakura costume around it, and continued on our way.

Don bought this awesome neko-hat, which I ended up wearing on the way home. XD (Even though I bought my own adorable kitsune (fox) hat. He just said, "I can't wear two hats, who wants this one for the ride?!" and I grabbed it.)

Don photobombing Jason's picture.
You can see the supersuper expensive Prinny he bought in his hand over there, to the right.

Ian. xD He was smiling, and as soon as I pointed my camera towards him, he made this face. (Awww!)

For the first hour and a half or so, I thought I'd be able to go through the entire day without anyone taking pictures. XD (I know that people like to take pictures of cosplayers, so I'd prepared myself, but I mostly hoped that no one would. *laugh* It's just embarresing.) I was standing with my friends, waiting for Ian to finish looking through some buttons in the Artist Alley, when a girl who was standing next to me looked at me. I looked back at her, we both smiled, and I think we may have said "hi," but I don't really remember. I looked away for a second, shy, then looked back. She then opened her arms for a hug, so I hugged her. It made me so happy!!! She was so cute! I wish I could find a way to contact her, it would be awesome if I could talk to her online or something.

Then there was another instance, about half an hour later, where two fangirls ran up to me, shouting "Hinata!!!" They cooed and awwed and hugged me and asked for my picture. (Three pictures, they had a guy with them.) Then they petted me and kept saying "cute!" and "kawaii!" and then ran away. *laughs nervously* That would have been SO embarressing if it were just me, but of course that would never happen, they were cooing at Hinata, and it really made my day that they liked my costume. I think it helped that my face was bright red during that whole ordeal. *laughs* It took me 10 minutes calm down after that. o.o;

People took Chelsie's picture, too, though she told me that she got some dirty looks. XD Apparently one person said, "Hinata! ....Sakura." And gave her a dirty look. I felt bad for her! I guess people don't like Sakura too much. (Note to self: moe character always get good reactions!)

Seriously, though, how could anyone glare at her?! She looks so great in her costume! (Which was entirely hand-made, by the way. Except for the headband. And the change purse, of course, she bought that at the convention.)

This is what made me wish I took more pictures of other cosplayers. Donald saw this girl, and was like, "Yeah, I'm going to get my picture with her." This costume is just epic.

Lessee... I saw Demyx... Kyouya... Hunny... Some girls dressed as Brigade members... And Vincent Valentine. *nodnod* I wanted to take a picture of Demyx sooo badly, but he was with some friends. :( It would have been rude to bother him.

Next year I am going to cosplay Kino from Kino no Tabi! Well, maybe. I might want to go with a more well-known character. If I can save up the money for the jacket, I want to cosplay Xion!

Even the ride home was enjoyable! We managed to find our way back easily (stopped at a Speedway that actually sold maps, but that didn't matter because all we had to do, it turns out, was take the freeway, and follow their detours).

About 15 minutes into the car ride, I found that I was extremely sleepy, and ended up spending half the ride laying on Ian's chest, drifting back and forth between conciousness and so-close-to-sleep. A few times I wondered if he was uncomfortable, but that was quickly overcome by a yawn that blocked out all my thoughts. xD He didn't mind, though. That's why I like him. :3

We talked about going to the mall (it was only 6:30 at the time), but Chelsie had to get home, and Ian wanted to go home. So another time, my friends!

I love those guys. (cheese, cheese, I know. *shuts up*)


"Next person we drive by is getting hit in the head!!!"


You can look at more photos from the convention (taken by the many different people that attended) HERE!

g h o s t i e

No comments: